Sunday, January 9, 2011

Deep Thoughts

What do you think about when you attend a funeral?

Sadness? Loneliness? Guilt? Relief? Memories of good times spent with your departed loved one? God? Questions about after death?


Dallas – Ft. Worth National Cemetery hosted various groups of people today gathered to honor ones who recently passed. Under a bright blue sky, under a brilliant glare of sun, under the canopy of a stone pavilion we listened to Taps, to scripture, to words from a daughter describing a man we all knew from our own personal contexts.

I was thinking about confirmation of my faith. Random phrases from The Apostles’ Creed kept running through my head. I have recited the words countless times in church with no real meaning attached. Today I said it in my heart and understood. I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth – how could one not believe when you view the surrounding sights? And in Jesus Christ his only son our Lord – who is our model for love and compassion; the communion of saints – our loved ones who have passed on before us are in the presence of God and joining his will for us to follow our given paths; the forgiveness of sins – we all are given the gift of grace; and the life everlasting – our spirits do not end. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment