Thursday, February 24, 2011

Honor Your Parents

My Parents




One of my favorite current TV shows now is The Good Wife. A side theme developing in the series is the teenage daughter’s search for God. The mother is sarcastic and uncomfortable as she fumbles along with her daughter’s questions, admitting to be an unbeliever herself. These scenes are thankfully far from my own reality. I am so blessed to have been born into a family of believers – faith runs far back into our roots. My earliest memories involve a cloud of love surrounding me – this cloud is made up of family members, family friends, simple times sharing meals and holiday events, and church.

The churches of my early childhood were First Baptist Church of Royse City where my Dad, Benny Kohn, was the “song leader”, First Methodist Church of Royse City where I attended occasionally with my grandparents, Pack and Lois Fisher and Union Valley Baptist (or it might have been called Graham Point Baptist - I will have to consult a historian), a little white wooden building in the country of blackland prairies where my other grandparents were members, Bally & Ethel Kohn. Notice both my granddads went by nicknames – Paschal Wayne was “Pack” and Elmer Louis was “Bally”. The attendants tried to appease me with saltine crackers and Kool-Aid in the nursery rooms but I always wanted to be with my parents in the worship service. The sweet ladies in Sunday school taught me Bible stories with the large picture illustrations and encouraged me to recite my “memory verse”. I know my parents were challenged with teaching me to be still and be quiet for a sustained period of time, but I consider it time well spent – not only did it put me in a place of learning spiritual principles but it taught me sit and listen, an ability that helped me to do well in school.



The church that I attend today is a large congregation with 6 services each Sunday. I choose The Traditional service because I like the time and I like the music – they always include some of the old hymns that I’ve heard and sung my whole life. Familiarity and nostalgia can be comforting…It is Well with my Soul, Just As I Am, The Old Rugged Cross and many more.

Gratitude overflows in my heart for my 2 parents, Benny & Sue Kohn, who made attending church a regular habit for our family. They wisely chose places for me and my sister to be able to learn about the Bible and prayer and God’s grace, while their own lives have been models of service – serving as deacon, teachers, choir members, food providers, quilt makers, prayer team members. Unlike the fictional daughter in The Good Wife, my questions were answered and encouraged at home – I am blessed with parents who are believers!


“Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6







No comments:

Post a Comment