Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Supernatural



Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.

This is the story of a $1000 donation to Weekend Food from Berkeys.

My heart is heavy with the needs of children – not constantly in my fore thoughts, but constantly in my subconsiousness.  Visions of my visits with hungry children in Africa remind me to support them with my prayers, my words and my finances.  Knowledge of hungry children in my own hometown should bring the same response.


 

Debbie Price and I connected at some time in the fall to discuss possible grant writing to seek funding for the growing numbers in the Weekend Food Program. 
http://www.firstmethodistgrapevine.org/Content.aspx?site_id=10664&content_id=254828
 I had successfully submitted many educational grants during my time as a public school teacher so I knew that experience could help me work on grants for this community need.  First research what grant opportunities are out there – many, many can be found but requirements for a non-profit Tax ID code would not match our administrative plans through church missions.  Most opportunities available count us out, except for those listed through Wal Mart.

Local communication came to mind, so I drafted a letter to share with businesses and community groups.  Many were sent out by email to car dealerships and insurance agencies.  Results were zero response. Maybe those requests just filtered to junk mail? Dear God, am I wrong to think that you want this?

What I really believe is this.  God is so personal.  He knows our thoughts – both cognitive and subconscious.  He knows our desires – and smiles on those aligned with his good purposes.  He wants his children to be fed – both physically and spiritually.  He is the supernatural, ultimate, intimate power – and delights when we recognize this at work in the world.  Some people call it amazing coincidence – I call it God’s hands.

On one random day during the holidays, a business advertisement randomly appeared on my Facebook news feed showing a local company called Berkeys.  At the time I did not need air conditioning or heating service but something else about their ad caught my attention. They needed to make a holiday contribution to a worthy favorite charitable program.  The notice asked for an essay of 100 words or less to explain the mission and needs of such a group who could use a donation.  My heart beat quicker as I recognized hearts that God had prepared for giving!  I shared their post to put it on my home page with plans to come back to it later and apply.  As you can tell from this story, my writing tends to be wordy!  My saved letter was edited down to meet their maximum word requirement and submitted through Facebook.  Christmas plans took over my daily life and I forgot about the Berkeys post …until I received a notice in the final days of advent that this business had selected Weekend Food for their planned donation.  God is the divine connector!  I am awed and amazed but I know it is not just a coincidence.
 

In the following days even more good news for Weekend Food, Walmart awarded a grant through Debbie’s application from last year, church members made donations and a former GCISD teacher led her family to gather food and money to support feeding these kids in Grapevine.  God is good, all the time!
 

John 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches:  He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit:  for apart from me ye can do nothing.

Psalm 31:19   Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment