Monday, July 25, 2011

Grandmothers

Grandmothers


For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well. And for this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you…For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. 2 Timothy 1: 5-7

My mother is named Sue Ann, not Eunice, and her mother was named Lois – and they both have passed on to me knowledge of their sincere faith. This generational faith also came from my father’s side of the family from many people, including his mother Rosa Ethel. My earliest memories are rooted in secure love, adoration and attention as I was in the privileged position of being the first grandchild. Mirroring God’s care for his children, my grandmothers showered me with unconditional love. I was bragged on and touted as being special, sweet, smart; wonderful words of praise occasionally tempered with gentle reminders, “Oh we don’t do that! No, no!” The bond between grandmothers and grandchildren is so accommodating and so forgiving and so centered in fiercely desiring only the best possible life for the young soul!

Along with some friends and family members, I have occasionally attended Circle of Light meetings with a lady who communicates with those who have passed on. My original purpose for going was to try to help friends who were suffering pain from loved ones they had lost, but I was stunned to have my grandmothers “speak” to me! They talked about light hearted things from my childhood like Juicy Fruit gum being stored in the kitchen drawer, Easter egg hunts in the yard – but Nana’s words also served to strengthen my faith when she said, “Remember, when I almost died?” Well yes, of course, how could I forget those tense moments when the family was lead into a special room at the hospital where the chaplain could speak to us in private! Her heart stopped but miraculously the medical team brought her back. Through the psychic, her words were encouraging to my faith in the mystery of afterlife – she said that if she had known what it was going to be like, she would have left us on that heart stop event – she said that it was better than we could ever imagine! I love that song…I Can Only Imagine.



During this strange meeting my grandmothers also tried to give me a message about a problem with gas. I started laughing, thinking that they were accusing me of passing gas in this group gathering. Then they tried to clarify – no it’s gas in a tank – so I was thinking that it was a problem with a tank at the Throckmorton ranch where cattle were watered. They kept telling me no, a tank, a problem with gas – but I never understood their communication while we were there. The meeting came to an end and my group piled into Darrell’s pickup that I had driven that night. We dropped off one friend and then drove on to the next house. When I parked in her driveway I noticed a warning light on the dash – we were perilously near to an empty tank of gas! Oh, I had a good laugh over finally understanding the insistent message from my grandmothers – they were still trying to protect me from the little trials of life! I did find a nearby Shell station and fill ‘er up!

Today I had the joy of my friend, a first time grandmamma, sharing a baby boy photo – he’s precious! While floating in the pool of another friend, our conversation stopped to sympathize by phone with her daughter’s tale of little grandson’s tender fingers touching the stove. Grandparent Camp, a yearly week of activity choices for their children’s offspring, always inspires me with ideas and future plans from another friend. With other friends, I share the wait of babies that are incubating in bellies waiting for their time to start in the world. I encourage each of you to cultivate your faith in the heart of that little one and give them the confidence of your unwavering love. I was so fortunate to have that special bond. My boys are continually blessed and strengthened in their lives by the prayers and support from their grandparents. The generations are called to pass on their ethics, their culture and their faith to those who come after us. Let us all take on that task with joy and thanksgiving!

2 Timothy 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the scriptures which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go. Even when he is old, he will not depart from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment